Thursday, January 29, 2009

Tamale Pie

My 5 cousins adore this dish. In the original recipe for this, it called for ground beef. I don't eat red meat, so I use turkey instead. It tastes just as good. I will post my recipe for fat free cornbread relatively soon because it works wonderfully with this recipe. If you are in a pinch, rumor has it you can always use jiffy cornbread mix, though I've never done it.
1 hr 350 degrees
2 lbs ground turkey
2 c diced peppers
an onion
2 c salsa
1 t salt
1 t chipotle pepper
½ t dried oregano
½ c cheese
2 recipes cornbread
saute the turkey with everything (minus the cornbread)
Make the cornbread recipes and spread half in a big casserole dish. Mix the other half with cheese. Spread the turkey mixture on top of the cornbread and then spread the remaining cornbread batter on top. Bake!

No comments:

Post a Comment