Thursday, January 29, 2009

Fancy and Classy Fondue Emmy Made for New Years

When it comes to fondue, I am by no means a purist (see welsh rarbit fondue), but peeps, this is the real thing. It made my new years eve about 10x better. By the way, gruyere cheese is my favorite cheese in the world. Last time I made this I bought the pound plus package- I ate the plus.

1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb. Gruyere cheese, shredded (or 1/2 lb Gruyere + 1/2 lb Emmental cheese)
3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
A splash or two of kirsch (opt)
Toss the cheese with the flour. Rub the interior of a medium saucepan with the peeled garlic. Place over medium heat and add the wine. Bring to a simmer and add the cheese mixture, one handful at a time. Stir in the nutmeg.Stir over low heat until smooth and cheese is melted and bubbling. Add a splash or two of kirsch (opt). Continue stirring until it starts to bubble just a bit. Transfer the cheese mixture to a fondue pot and you are ready for dipping. Continue to stir frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment