Monday, May 9, 2011

Spinach, Feta, Pesto and Carmelized Onions on Chickpea Patties


The original recipe that spawned these delicious babies was a lot different, but due to particular cravings/unwillingness to walk a block to the grocery store, I ended up creating a much more Mediterranean dish. I was really really pleased. According to the original recipe (from Super Natural Cooking, by Heidi Swanson), these are supposed to be served as a sandwich, with the Chickpea patties as the buns. I found that this was WAY too much for me to eat, so I ended up doing an open faced sort of dealio. Whatever works.
Oh, also, before I pureed all the chickpeas, I reserved about 1/4th cup to smoosh up by hand, so they would be chunkier


In a food processor, puree: a 15 oz can of garbanzo beans, chickpeas, whatever
2 eggs
about a Tablespoon finely chopped onions
1 T curry powder
salt to taste
red pepper flakes

stir in: 1 1/2 c rolled oats (I guess you could use breadcrumbs)

form patties in whatever size you like, and fry in some olive oil until both sides are nicely browned

meanwhile, caramelize an onion- I like to add a little salt and sugar with mine.

Top each patty with a little hummus, spinach, caramelized onions, feta, and balsamic vinegar

1 comment:

  1. Yummy..........this is just what I have been looking for. I know it. So I will make it as soon as I get the ingredients. I have cooked many years and know a good recipe when I see it. THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR GOOD RECIPES.

    monajolee

    ReplyDelete