Thursday, April 16, 2009

Hearty Cabbage Soup

I don't know how long this recipe has been in the family, but it is one of the best soups I've encountered.  Its very good served with homemade bread.  Challah in particular.  As a kid, I always ate it made with beef, but I don't eat red meat anymore, so I just use ground turkey.  If you have the patience, like beans, this soup is better on the second day.  

Brown: 
1 lb ground beef or turkey

Add and simmer:
6 c water
2 cans tomato paste (6 oz each)
1/2 head of cabbage, chopped
1 large onion, sliced
4 all spice berries or 1/2 t ground allspice
3 T sugar
1 T salt (or a little less)
3 peppercorns 
1 bay leaf 
2 T worcestershire sauce

1 comment:

  1. Ann! I'm browsing through your blog to find something to make for my roommates. I'm so glad you have included this recipe - it is the best of all Burnett delicacies, and will be the perfect meal this weekend. Thanks!

    - Clara

    ReplyDelete