Saturday, May 19, 2012

Sauerkraut

I've been wanting to try different fermentation methods, so I figured I should try making my own sauerkraut. Cabbage is cheap, and preparation is quick. First chop up your vegetables. I used 1 small head red cabbage 1 small head green cabbage 3 carrots 1 onion 1 head of garlic salt to taste combine all the chopped vegetables in a bowl and squeeze and knead with your hands until everything is pretty juicy. It takes a while. Mash your vegetables and juice into jars, making sure the juice covers the vegetables. Close up your jars and let them sit 2-5 day. Every so often you should open the jars to release the pressure that will build up during fermentation. Mold may appear on top-- simply skim it off. The vegetables beneath will still be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment